Sunday, February 8, 2009

La llegada (the arrival)


Note: This is the first of my psedo-chronological catch-up posts. I've done quite a few things by now, classes, homestays, etc. This is how I got to Cuernavaca.


The flight went smoothly. I did wait a good bit, but my ipod kept me going for that time. I thought they'd arrive earlier, so I had an airport staffer announce my name. It was interesting the whole pronunciation issue. I had to explain that it wasn't Poe-oonds.

Moises drove us through Mexico City. If I understood him correctly, Mexico City restricts who can drive on which day of the week. However, that sounded so confusing that I wasn't sure if I'd misunderstood him.


Eventually we got to Cuernavaca, passing the statue of Emilio Zapata on the way. I'd have to say that the scenery, particularly the mountains on the way there, impressed me.


In later days I started to miss pointless things such as signs being separate from walls and not painted onto them, or that houses not have walls reinforced by glass bottles or barbed wire. Looking back on those days now, I'd say that it was rather childish of me to desire everything to resemble East Tennessee.


In fact in an early class excersize, we were asked how many of us had relatives in another country, and I remained sitting, thinking that I was not like the Mexican staffers who had sons or nephews working in the U.S. (rather common for many people I've met here, but I'll return to that later). It had not registered with me that I was now in a different country . In fact I sometimes even, without meaning to, referred to the United States as "here."

No comments:

Post a Comment